Pope McGlamry is pleased to announce that a confidential, private settlement has been reached in the Stryker LFIT Cobalt Chromium V40 Femoral Heads litigation.
The litigation involved the recalled LFIT V40 hip component commonly used in conjunction with Stryker's Accolade device in hip replacement surgeries. The LFIT V40 devices, manufactured by Howmedica Osteonics Corp., were subject to two separate recalls after patients complained of:
- Difficulty walking
- Disassociation of the femoral head
- Tissue and muscle damage from corrosion products of the cobalt and chromium femoral head requiring revision surgery
Individual Lawsuits Centralized
Numerous individual lawsuits were centralized in two jurisdictions and both are included in the confidential private settlement. All federally filed Stryker LFIT V40 lawsuits were located in the District of Massachusetts as a Multi-District Litigation (MDL) in April of 2017.
Lawsuits filed in state court, New Jersey, were also consolidated as a Multi-County Litigation (MCL) in New Jersey’s Superior Court in Bergen County on May 16, 2017.
LFIT V40 Settlement Announced
The settlement was announced this morning in court before the MDL Judge Indira Talwani in Boston. An order was issued by the Honorable Judge Rachelle Harz of the New Jersey Superior Court applying procedures to support the settlement, as well.
The Plaintiffs’ negotiating team jointly comment that “we are pleased we were able to bring a speedy resolution for our clients and are happy they will receive compensation for both the pain these devices caused and the surgeries they had to endure to attempt to undo the damage caused by these faulty implants.”
LFIT V40 Litigation Leadership
The attorneys in the leadership of these coordinated litigations who negotiated this settlement are:
- Michael L. McGlamry and M.J. Blakely of Pope McGlamry
- Peter J. Flowers of Meyers & Flowers
- Brenda S. Fulmer and C. Calvin Warriner, III of Searcy Denney Scarola, Barnhart & Shipley
- Walter Kelly of Bernheim Dolinsky Kelley
- Joseph Osborne of Osborne & Francis
- Ashley Raso of Meshbesher & Spence and Ellen Relkin of Weitz & Luxenberg
- Negotiating Counsel for Stryker were Kim Catullo and Nora Wolf of Gibbons, P.C.