Wade (Trip) Tomlinson was born in Tampa, Florida on February 25, 1953. He graduated from the University of Georgia with a B.B.A. in 1976 and, after teaching elementary school children for several years, he received his J.D. from the University of Georgia in 1987 (cum laude). He was a Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable Wilbur D. Owens, Jr., Chief Judge, U. S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia (1987-1989), and for the Honorable Albert Henderson, Senior Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (1989-1990).
Trip is a member of several professional associations and organizations, including the American Bar Association, where he served as an Associate Editor for the Tort & Insurance Law Journal (1995-1997), the State Bar of Georgia, and Henry Lumpkin Inn of Court (Master Bencher). He also is a founding member and serves on the Executive Committee of the Columbus Inn of Court. Trip served a three-year term on the Attorney Disciplinary Committee for the U. S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia. Trip is and has been actively involved in leadership roles in numerous civic, charitable and community organizations. Currently, he serves as a trustee, board member, or Commissioner for: The Columbus Museum; One Columbus (promoting unity and respect within a diverse community); The Housing Authority of Columbus, Georgia; UGA Honors Program Advisory Board; Georgia Appleseed Center for Law and Justice. Trip formerly served on the boards of the Muscogee Excellence in Education Foundation and the Chattahoochee Riverkeeper and Chattahoochee RiverWatch.
Currently, he is focused on practicing law in the areas of complex litigation, consumer protection, business litigation, appellate practice, and tort liability. Representative cases include:
- Expedia, Inc. v. City of Columbus, 285 Ga. 684, 681 S.E.2d 122 (Ga. June 15, 2009);
- Executive Risk Indem., Inc.. v. AFC Enterprises, Inc., 279 Fed.Appx. 793 (11th Cir. Ga. May 28, 2008);
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. v. Mabry, 274 Ga. 498, 556 S.E.2d 114 (Ga. Nov. 28, 2001);
- In re Bayshore Ford Trucks Sales, Inc., 471 F.3d 1233 (11th Cir. Ga. Dec. 11, 2006);
- Volkswagen of America, Inc. v. Gentry, 251 Ga.App. 888, 564 S.E.2d 733 (Ga.App. Mar. 28, 2002);
- Elliott By and Through Elliott v. U.S., 37 F.3d 617 (11th Cir. Ga. Nov. 8, 1994);
- Elliott By and Through Elliott v. U.S., 28 F.3d 1076 (11th Cir. Ga. July 28, 1994;
- Elliott By and Through Elliott v. U.S., 13 F.3d 1555 (11th Cir. Ga. Feb. 15, 1994);
- Palmer v. Hospital Authority of Randolph County, 22 F.3d 1559 (11th Cir. Ga. June 21, 1994); and
- Henderson v. Scientific-Atlanta, Inc., 971 F.2d 1567 (11th Cir. Ga. Sept. 11, 1992)
Admitted to and/or practiced in:
- U.S. Supreme Court;
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Third and Eleventh Circuits;
- U.S. District Courts, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia; and numerous other District Courts;
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims;
- Multi-District Litigation Panel;
- Georgia Supreme Court; and
- Georgia Court of Appeals.